Saturday, April 7, 2018

When, How, and Why to Use Hand Signals When Driving.






Turn signals, or the lack of using them, might be the most maligned part of driving. The turn signal stalk is on the left side of the steering wheel column, ready to be pushed down, or pulled up, to indicate whichever turn the driver plans to complete. Yet we all know that there are many, many people who don’t touch that turn signal stalk to indicate a turn, either because they don’t think of it, or they are too busy being on their phone or being distracted in a myriad of ways. Be that as it may, there are situations where a driver has to use a turn signal, but not the electronic ones that came with their car. This article will tell you when to use hand signals to indicate what you are doing while driving.

The picture above shows the three types of hand signal. An arm pointed straight out indicates a left turn. An arm hooked up at the elbow indicates a right turn. And finally, an arm hooked down at the elbow indicates slowing or stopping.

Now that the signals are known, when would you ever have to use them? Well the first situation would be if there was ever a time when the electronics in your car stopped working. I have heard of older cars having short circuits in their electrical system, meaning that neither the headlights nor the taillights worked at all. In this instance, the only way to indicate your turn or slowing is to use hand signals. It is a rare occurrence, but it does occur, which is why almost every state driving manual in the U.S. has a section on hand signals. You won’t always need them, but you need to know what they are, and how to use them.

Other situations where you might need hand signals? Let’s say you are towing a trailer, a trailer without lights, or a trailer in which the lights are broken or the wiring harness is not in good enough shape to mount to the car. The fact that you shouldn’t use a trailer in this condition should go without saying, but we all know that there are many people would still take a trailer like this, so let’s talk about it.
Say the trailer blocks the taillights on the car or truck that is towing it. The only way you’d have to let someone know behind you that you were turning or slowing is to use hand signals. And don’t think this is a rare thing. I remember my first year working midnight shift for GM, back in 1996. I was driving to the proving grounds at around 11 PM. I was going probably 50 M.P.H. (the speed limit on that road), or maybe a bit more than that, and was thinking of nothing but getting to work and getting a good night’s worth of driving in (and getting there before I would be counted late, which accounts for the driving maybe a bit more than 50!). That is when I saw the tiniest red glint in front of me, and I realized that it wasn’t moving, so it was in the road. Once I realized that the red glint was in the road, I had just enough time to avoid it and keep myself safe. What it was, was a trailer, a trailer made up of nothing but an axle and some plywood, no lights, no brakes, no nothing, just a broken reflector on the back. What’s more, this trailer was wider and taller than the car that was towing it, so the lights of the car were invisible from behind. Had the reflector not been there, I would likely have smashed right in to it, as there were no lights anywhere on the road for miles around, and no lights on the trailer as I said. Had that trailer been being operated during the day, the driver could have used the slowing or stopping hand signal to show that he was going slower than the speed limit on that road. As it was night though, he had nothing, and came very close to causing an accident, as his headlights were even so dim they were not visible at all from a good distance behind the car (A car with good working headlights on a pitch black road will be visible for a good distance from behind the car because of the wide area that the headlights light up).  So yes, people still do hook up trailers without lights, and trailers that block the car’s lights. Hand signals could make the difference between life and death for a situation like the one I just described.

Another situation I experienced while driving for GM should bring the importance of knowing what hands signals are home, and in this case I mean recognizing when they are being used, moreso than just being able to use them. I was driving a minivan, with a trailer on it, right before quitting time. I was headed back to the proving grounds, ready to head home. I was on a rural road, south of the proving grounds, and I was behind a ten year old car or so, filled with a mom and kids. All of a sudden the mom put her arm straight out from the driver’s side window, and began to slow down. It took me a second to figure out what she was doing, but then I realized the arm signal for a left turn, so I immediately took my foot off of the gas, and began to start slowing down for her. No sooner had I done that, then the dump truck behind me slammed in to me, and pushed me around her to the left (He went around her to the right. Thankfully no one in the car was hurt in any way). Had I not recognized her hand signal, I might have been going much faster when I was hit then I was, possibly making that accident much worse than it was. In the end, it was a totaled car, and a sore back for me, nothing more thank God. (In case you'd like more detail, the accident is described in more detail in my blog post: GM Stories: My Worst Accident...By Far).

So hand signals are important to know. Not only do you need them if you have an electrical problem with your car, or you are towing something that blocks the taillights of your car from behind, but it is very important that you be able to recognize when other people are using them, so that you can take the proper safe action in response to them. Are hand signals rare things anymore? Absolutely. Does this mean that they aren’t worthy of study? Absolutely not. Know what your hand signals are. Know why they are used, and be able to recognize them in use. This will be just another tool in your safe driving toolbox, one that will keep you safe and able to deal with differing driving situations when they happen. Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment