Wednesday, November 18, 2015

What Do you Do if you are alone in your Car, Stopped on the Side of the Road, and Someone Knocks on your Window?





Let me tell you a story. This story involves one of the scariest things that ever happened to me. No, it doesn’t involve ghosts, robbers, or things that go bump in the night. It involves something even scarier, a stranger in the dark. As you may know, I used to be a test driver for General Motors. One night, I was driving a SAAB (a type of Swedish car) along with about five other drivers. We had all driven our cars, convoy style, from the proving grounds in east Mesa, Arizona, to a mountain side pullout outside of Globe, Arizona. I was working third shift at the time, which meant I got to work at 11:30 PM, and didn’t go home until 8:00 AM. The incident I’m going to tell you about happened about 3:00 AM, give or take an hour.

So the six of us did our route over the mountain road (called a schedule by General Motors’s engineers), and at the end of the schedule, we were asked to record our odometer, time, and readings from some of the instruments so the engineers could look at the data later in the week when they inspected the car. I was the last car in line as we finished the last schedule of the night, and I pulled up next to my colleagues, and began taking my readings.  Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the other cars, which had finished before me, start to take off back to a spot we had all agreed on for lunch that night.  I busied myself with the readings I was taking, and when I got about halfway done the last car left. So it was just me and my SAAB, at about 3 AM, on this mountainside pullout. I had done this kind of thing about 40 times before, so I wasn’t scared, wasn’t worried about anything besides what I was going to have for lunch, and how great that burger was going to taste as soon as I got into town…

That’s when I heard the knock on my window. I literally jumped in my seat. I took a second to look around, but because I had the interior lights on in the car, I couldn’t make out much. Then the knock happened again, and I could see that it was coming from my left.  Looking out the driver’s side window, I could see a man standing next to my car. I hadn’t seen him walk  up because I had been so busy recording my readings. He knocked again, and getting my composure, I rolled my driver’s side window down about an inch. I asked him what’s up, doing my best not to let on how spooked I was (I was literally shaking a bit still).

“What time do we start?” He said

“What?” I returned

“What time do we start?”

“What are you talking about?” I asked him, too spooked to comprehend what he was asking.

“What time does work start? You’re part of the crew, aren’t you?” He said

“Uhhhh…no. I drive for GM. I am just here to record some numbers, then I head back into Globe” I said

“ So you’re not part of the work crew?” He continued. Remember, he knocked on the window of a small  European sedan, not a work truck.

“No” was all I said

“Oh” he said, and melted back into the darkness.

I remember looking in my rear view mirror after he left my window, and watched him walk behind my car, and deeper into the dark. I don’t think I have to tell you that as soon as I saw him go, I slammed that car into drive and got out of there so quick I’m sure I sprayed that guy with at least some rocks. To this day I don’t know what he was on about. There was no construction equipment evident anywhere on the pullout, and what’s more, I didn’t see any other cars besides the GM cars on the pullout that night. (I made an arc when I came into the pullout so that I would be able to take off down the road without having to back out.  Because of that arc, my headlights showed me the entire pullout. There were no other cars there). Looking back on it, it is still a bit spooky, because no work was going on there. Why did he wait until it was just me to go ahead and ask? Why would a guy ask someone who wasn’t in a work truck or who obviously wasn't parking there when they started? As the years have gone on, I am more and more convinced it was something nefarious. That is why I’m so glad I handled that night the right way. Here is what you do if someone approaches your car at night.

1. First off, do not roll your window down any more than an inch or a half inch to talk to them.  An inch gives you enough room to be able to carry on a conversation with anyone outside, but still keeps you safe because they can’t get in. Don’t worry about being rude. If you don’t know someone, treat them as a threat until they show you otherwise. Do not under any circumstance roll your window down all the way to talk to a stranger. Also, it’s going to be normal to be a bit shocked if your experience is anything like mine. Take a minute to compose yourself before answering. I can tell you without feeling the slightest bit of shame that I was still shaken up a half hour after meeting the guy on the pullout. There is no shame in fear; it’s there to help keep you out of bad situations. And if they person you are talking to is belligerent, don’t be afraid to get out of there if you feel you should.

2. Next, don’t be afraid to be rude. If you get a weird feeling from someone you’re talking to in the middle of the night (or even the daytime) that feeling is being given to you for a reason. Listen to it. If the person asks for a ride, if the person tells you that they are starving. If the person says their dog Minnie needs Milk Bones, don’t listen to them if you are getting the feeling they aren’t honest. Your first job is to protect you. You owe the person outside nothing.

Another important point concerns women that one might see. If a woman knocks on your window, whether day or night, you might think that she is harmless and it’s your job to help her, but listen to your senses. There are groups that go around with attractive women and have them play at being hurt or scared or something so that you will lower your guard and let her in. As soon as you do so, her accomplices will appear ready to attack and rob, or worse. So don’t let your guard down. Of course, I am not saying this is all women, or even most women. All I'm saying is to be on guard if a stranger approaches: something you should be doing no matter what the gender of the stranger is.

3. Lastly, you don’t owe anyone anything. If you don’t want to give someone a ride, don’t do it. If you think it’s risky, then it is and don’t do it. You can still do the honorable thing and ask the person to give you their name and where they broke down, record it on your phone, and then drive off down the road, and when safe, call the Police and report the person so they can get help.  Another thing to note is that if you  yourself are broken down in the middle of nowhere and a stranger stops to help, don’t be afraid to just pass them a slip of paper through your slightly rolled down window and ask them to call police. Don’t assume everyone is out to help you. Many people aren’t, and that is even more true when it is just you and one other person in the middle of nowhere or the dead of night. Law goes out the window at that point for many people, and people do what they want because they figure if there is no one to see, they can’t get in trouble. Believe this, it happens more than you think.


It’s been almost twenty years now since that happened, and I’m not going to lie, thinking about that still shakes me up a bit because it was so frightening. I honestly can’t say why I didn’t roll my window down all the way or get out of my car that night (normally when I stopped to take readings, I would step out of the car to stretch my legs or relieve myself after I was done. I didn’t do it this night, and I strongly think I have God to thank for keeping me safe and in the car.) What I do know is that I had a sketchy stranger approach my car, and I dealt with it well and kept myself safe. If the same thing happens to you, remember what you read here, especially the part about not lowering your window more than an inch and not feeling obliged to pick up a stranger. The most important thing is that you keep yourself safe. You can always call for help for someone from a safe place after you get their information. That is the best of both worlds if you meet someone who claims to need help. As always though, stay vigilant and be focused and aware of all things around you. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment